Monday, March 7, 2011

Section 7

Distributed Learning is any educational experience that uses a variety of means including technology to enable learning.
Examples of Distributed Learning:
academic distributed learning- our online classes here at TAMU Cmmmerce
hybrid classes- these are online classes with some supplemental on-site classes. I had two of those in the beginning of my Library Science career. We met face-to face in the beginning and at the end to do presentations.
virtual classes- These are online classes or universities that are totally online. They try to simulate the actual classroom experience as much as possible. An example of a totally online university is Jones International University.
for profit distributed learning-Examples of this are Walden University and Capella University.

Chaper 29
The book defines reusability as the ability to use the same resource multiple times in multiple ways, and in multiple contexts. Reusability is also the ability of developers to use a resource in their own work. Example: In our cataloging and classification class, we used another school's marc records to solve the puzzle of what Dewey Decimal number to assign to a Title. I think the course should have had a database to usespreadsheet, or links to other databases to help with the search. We don't even use what we learned because it is so convoluted to use. More time could have been spent on why the numbers are what they are rather than quizzes to search to find these numbers. We should be able to obtain them freely. Marc records are not copyrighted, so we should have access to them. Actually we did use them. :-) I buy my books processed now or look up the records in our online databse OPAC system.

Chapter 30
The authors of the book define rich media as learning products that incorporate high-end media such as video, animation, sound and simulation. Functional features, or how well the visual coveys the message determines the effectiveness over surface features, which is what type of visual it is. I visited howstuffworks.com and clicked on the home and garden tab, then appliances and found an article on How to Build a Lamp. The visual is a line drawing with each part labeled with an arrow pointing to each part of the lamp kit, base and harp. The article includes step-by-step text instructions on how to build the lamp. I thin that I could do this. I have seen pots and vases and wanted a lamp made from them.

Chapter 31
I wasn't sure what nanotechnology was so again I visited How Stuff Works and looked at visuals explaining what it is and the products using it. I saw a flexible liquid crystal display (LCD) book or magazine in a picture. I thought about how cool that would be to have a flexible, almost paper-thin e-reader with the capacity to download books, newspapers and magazines. I found some information in the textbook about this technology. I think these are definitely on the horizon. We could buy the e-books which never wear out.

Chapter 32
I think after reading both views of the future of IDT that I agree with both of them from my limited reading. I also agree that i n grad school, there should be an added component of managerial skills and a "train the trainer" element to the program. I also feel that the focus should be on accepted methods and practices while still encouraging an openness in method and ideology while striving toward a set of common goals and ambition as Brent Wilson reads in the textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment